Grape leaves have become a fashionable ingredient in modern life. They are used in medicine and cosmetology, they brew tonic tea. Most of them are known as the basis of the national Asian and Caucasian dishes dolma. So let's take a closer look at them.
The chemical composition of grape leaves
Grape leaves are a natural storehouse of vitamins and minerals. The energy value per 100 grams is 93 kcal, the product has a high content of fats, carbohydrates and proteins.
They contain: phosphorus, copper and magnesium, iron, calcium and potassium, manganese and vitamins of groups A, B, C, E and PP. The list continues with beta-carotene, ascorbic acid, fiber and omega acid.
Useful properties and contraindications
Let's talk about the beneficial properties. Since time immemorial, healers have used the natural strength of the greenery of the grapes in the preparation of a therapeutic drug to heal various ailments. They were used as a means:
- pain medication;
- with female diseases;
- stomach upset;
- bouts of rheumatism.
Modern science confirms the benefits of grape leaves. They act as an antioxidant, strengthen the immune system and protect the body from aging. Regular use of them in the diet:
- enhances eyesight;
- has a beneficial effect on the skin and hair;
- calms the nerves;
- reduces the risk of cancer;
- helps with diseases of the joints;
- relieves inflammation of the mucous membranes;
- helps to improve the performance of the gastrointestinal tract;
- cleanses the body of toxins;
- reduces puffiness and venous insufficiency;
- stimulates the heart muscle.
Dark grape leaves have a number of contraindications. They are not recommended for use with:
- acute gastritis and stomach ulcers;
Deadlines for collection
The best time to collect greenery is the period before the flowering of the vine. Given the factor that the vine grows continuously, then the young leaves appear on it until the autumn. Practically collecting greens can be the entire growing season, except for the period of chemical treatment.
Tea from grape leaves
For the first time having tasted this aromatic and tonic tea, you can become its fan forever. Cooking "brewing" of the vine is quite simple at home. Would need:
- Collect young leaves and rinse them.
- Collapse the shape of the envelope.
- Dry in the dryer or in the oven.
- Grind hands
- Store in a container in a dry and dark place.
To brew tea you need to take 1 h / l of "grape tea" to fill it with 250 ml of boiling water.. Insist 10 minutes and strain. You can brew a drink with the addition of green and black tea.
The use of pure infusion will help to cope with diseases of the throat, they can also wash wounds or ulcers. You can store the brew until the next harvest.Dried and shredded grape leaves for brewing tea
Preparation for dolma for the winter
Delicious, fragrant dolma has become a favorite not only in its historic homeland. Increasingly, it can be found on the tables of residents of Russia. In order to please the family with a culinary masterpiece all year round, you need to know how to prepare grape leaves for future use.
This method of conservation is the most convenient. You will need:
- clean leaves folded in a pile (10-15pcs);
- roll the stack into the "blank tube";
- wrap each blank with cling film;
- put in a container and put in the freezer.
Brine pickling in cans
This salting recipe is good because the taste of the product is neutral. For this you will need: green grapes 1 kg, salt stone 5 tbsp. spoons, 1 l. water.
- prepare sterile jars;
- greens pour boiling water for no more than 3 minutes;
- quickly drain the water through a sieve or colander;
- cool greens and collect in piles of 10-15 pieces;
- pile in rolls;
- put the rolls in a jar and pour salt;
- pour the cooled brine;
- for fermentation, incubate at room temperature for 2 weeks.
For brine you need to add 1.5 spoons of salt in 1 liter of boiling water, mix, bring to a boil and cool. Brine topped up as needed during fermentation. Cover the jars with lids and store in a dark and cool place.
Pickling in barrels
An ideal option for pickling in barrels for those who have cellars for storing large containers.
- Prepare a barrel, rinse and scald with boiling water.
- Green grapes folded in piles and tightly twist into tubes.
- Blanks tightly laid in a barrel.
- Pour the brine.
- Cover with a clean cloth and a wooden circle.
- Set the yoke.
How to pickle
For marinade lovers, we recommend grape greens marinated like ordinary vegetables. Offers to take note of the easiest recipe.
- Prepare sterile jars.
- Clean and dry leaves of grapes folded and wrap in tight rolls (10-15 pieces each).
- Tightly put the rolls in the banks "by the shoulders."
- Pour boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and repeat the procedure 2 times.
- Pour boiling marinade.
- Roll up under the cover.
- Store in a dark and cool place.
Marinade: On 1 liter of water 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon spoon of sugar, 2 tablespoons of vinegar 9%.Harvesting grape leaves for pickling or storage for the winter
The method of dry preservation is popular simplicity. In this case, the leaves are not rolled into rolls, and stacked layers. Each layer is sprinkled with salt. Filled jars of greens are sterilized in a hot oven at a temperature of 90-100C for about 10 minutes. Next, banks roll covers and stored in the cellar or in the refrigerator.
As you can see, saving grape leaves for the winter is easier than ever. Having made the necessary preparations, even in January frost, it will be possible to enjoy hot and fragrant dolma without problems. Eat with pleasure and let a particle of a vine and summer sun be near you.