The essence of the method of growing vegetables with the help of equipment for hydroponics is the cultivation of plants without soil composition, using a mineral substrate. Instead of soil, water is used in which the feed compound is added. From time to time the roots of plants are moistened with this liquid. This type of equipment can be purchased at the store or make yourself. Let us consider in more detail what is needed for this and how to assemble it with your own hands in order to grow vegetables and fruits in home or greenhouse conditions.
Is it possible to make a hydroponic installation independently at the dacha
As this method becomes more and more popular, the number of gardeners who want to build equipment suitable for growing vegetables by themselves is growing.
This will require some materials:
- aquarium or hydroponic pump - with its help, water is saturated with oxygen. It is recommended to replace all tubes of the pump unit with silicone analogues;
- a container with a lid made of opaque materials (forty to fifty liters) - it is filled with a nourishing liquid. The volume will depend on the number of plants, each should provide two to three liters of solution;
- hydro pots or pots with drainage holes for seedlings - acquire special containers with slots in the lower parts of the walls. You can make such glasses yourself. Through the holes the root system will receive power;
- timer device - it is set to the fifteen-minute mode - the time interval for the nutrient fluid to enter the pots;
- substrate - use a different material that meets the basic requirement - hygienic;
- nutrient solution - acquire complex fertilizer compositions added to water, or special concentrates.
Varieties of equipment and installations
It is believed that hydroponics is divided into three groups, which is associated with the peculiarities of its work:
- drip - solution for feeding is supplied from time to time through the system of tubes, penetrating to the root system. There are reversible and non-reversible types. In the first embodiment, residual solution is reused; in the second case, adjustment is made so that the solution is consumed in full;
- periodic flooding - The substrate mass in which the culture develops is periodically flooded, then dried again. Hydroponics functions in cycles, the feed solution is poured into the substrate, its excess is removed;
- nutrient layer - the device is based on cyclic intakes of feeding solutions in small quantities at the bottom of the tank, near which the tips of the root systems are located. They do not have a substrate, and the timer is not required. Oxygen enters through slots arranged in the tank in which the plants are located.
How to make a hydroponic system with your own hands
To do this, there are two ways - to buy everything you need in the store and build the system, or make it from improvised means.
Fluid storage tank
We take a large capacity in the lid arrange holes for pots. Their diameter should be slightly smaller than the circumference of the upper edge of the pot so that it does not fall through;
Pots and pumping equipment
Capacities for plants can be purchased or made by hand. In the upper part of the tank is arranged a hole into which the compressor tube is passed. According to the instructions preparing spray stone, which is then immersed in water.
Connection is made according to the scheme stone - tube - pump installation. Performance check is in progress. After this, the tank is filled with separated water by two thirds, the substrate is placed in the pots. Top pots can be covered with plastic cups to create a greenhouse effect;
Required substrateAs a substrate, claydite is most often used.
Great for these purposes. expanded stone. It will be better if it turns out to be large factions. When germinating seeds in pots, you can lay mineralized cotton wool.
The substrate can be fine gravel, river sand, coconut fibers, perlite.
Any material must meet basic requirements - do not excrete harmful substances and not to absorb nutrients from it. The structure of the substrate mass must be porous, it is excellent to wash off accumulated salts, to serve for a long time.
After completing all the activities, you can turn on the pump installation.
How to translate plants into hydroponics
For this there are several basic actions. The plant is carefully removed from the ground. It is necessary to act carefully in order to do not damage the root system. If the culture is tall enough, with well developed roots, the pot is pre-soaked in water to make it easier to remove the plant.
The roots are washed with water so that there is no land left on them. Any organic matter left on the roots will cause the process of decay and the death of the culture. Water should be warm so as not to shock the plant.When transferring plants to hydroponics, it is important not to damage the root system.
Hydroponic installation is placed on a flat surface, in the shade. Strong sunlight may interfere with the restoration of vital activity of the roots. Plant roots are placed in the substrate so that they are completely covered.
Gets divorced root former from the complex composition, poured into the container. Clean water is poured to the required level.
After waiting a week, completely drain the water from the tank. Then the nutrient fluid is prepared and poured into the hydroponic tank.
All that remains to be done is to add nutrient fluid as needed, to completely change it through one and a half months.
Technology devices hydroponics available to any gardener. With it, you can grow plants at home all year round. Fertilizer compositions are acceptable, for the installation will require no more than one square meter of free space.